Faculty Position Description and Expectations
The Gehring Academy Faculty Members are the valued and respected core of the Donald D. Gehring Academy. Academy participants consistently cite the quality and approachability of our Faculty Members as a primary reason they attend the Academy and are satisfied with their experience. This year’s Academy planning team, as is our tradition, selected respected student conduct and legal professionals to represent the best of our field and Association. The work we do at the Academy shapes the future skill-base, quality, and direction of student conduct. We appreciate your contribution made on behalf of the Association, the students, and campus communities impacted by our work.
Gehring Academy Faculty agree to:
- participate in all Faculty conference calls, meetings, and training and/or follow-up with Gehring Chair if circumstances prohibit attendance.
- adhere to budgeted track allocations and request approval from the Gehring Chair if proposing any changes to track, faculty, format, and resources. Only budget requests approved by the ASCA Executive Director and Gehring Academy Chair will be funded.
- adhere to all required timelines for providing information, materials, and content.
- work with the Track Coordinator to ensure sessions are appropriate for the intended track topic and work to create content that is suited for adult learners.
- keep the Gehring Academy Chair and ASCA staff updated on the status, content, and needs of the track.
While on site at the Gehring Academy, Faculty make the following commitments:
- Attend and participate in the full Academy including track meetings, meals, and events.
- Plan to arrive at the Academy site no later than 12:00 pm (noon) Central Time on July 23, 2020 and remain through 3:30 pm on July 27, 2020, unless otherwise noted or agreed upon.
- Attend the all-faculty meeting on July 23, 2020, held at 1:00 pm at the Marriott Minneapolis Downtown (meeting room TBA) and the Academy opening reception.
- Fully participate in all classroom sessions for the track, including a minimum of three presentations, while minimizing time out of the room for other activities.
- Participate in panels and/or group activities as agreed upon in advance with other track coordinators.
- Mentor participants through group and/or individual activities including meals and/or social activities.
Copyright & Citations– All instructional materials created for the Academy must appropriately reflect attribution to sources of information. In addition, if chapters, articles, models, charts or other forms of training materials are incorporated from another source, copyright clearance must be obtained by Faculty Members from the author(s) of such information that provides permission to reprint as a part of the Academy materials. Each Faculty Member will be responsible for proper attribution and copyright permission for all materials provided and utilized in the track. The Academy assumes no responsibility for violations.
Material Ownership & Licensure– The authors retain copyright ownership of all original instructional materials provided for the Academy. This means the right to reproduce, distribute or create derivative works are retained by the author. The training materials created for the Academy, including PowerPoint presentations and handouts, should be appropriately labeled as the intellectual property of the author with a copyright notice (this is generally done by: ©2020, author name, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED) and should be reflected on the footer of all of Faculty Member materials. As a Gehring Academy instructor, each Faculty Member agrees to provide a limited license to the 2020 Gehring Academy to publish the instructional materials on the ASCA database for the exclusive use of 2020 Gehring Academy participants. All other uses of the instructional materials are protected by the copyright ownership of the author and require permission for further use.
Participant Materials– Participants have an expectation that the Academy will provide materials in a timely manner. Participant readings and other instructional materials must be provided to the ASCA Deputy Director for posting to participants no later than June 26, 2020.
ASCA is committed to making all programs accessible to all participants. Please be sure that consideration is given to those with disabilities. All materials must be accessible. As part of the track development process, the ASCA Deputy Director will provide information and resources to aid the inclusive development of all lessons. Non-accessible materials will not be approved by the Academy Chair for use by Track Coordinators and Faculty. Please inform the ASCA Executive Director should you need any of your own accommodations, including food allergy.
Video/Audiotape/Photography– ASCA requests permission to videotape and/or audiotape Academy sessions. ASCA may record certain Academy sessions for historical and educational purposes. Some taped sessions may be available to ASCA members, for a nominal rental or sales fee, for educational purposes only.
ASCA staff takes photographs of Academy activities for use in publications, advertising and web site to promote the Donald D. Gehring Academy and ASCA, in general.
TRAVEL, LODGING, MEALS
All Air travel will be coordinated and paid through the ASCA Central Office. Faculty Members are required to work directly with the ASCA Central Office to make travel arrangements and must not make arrangements independently, unless otherwise approved in advance.
Airport shuttle fare to and from the airport is allowed with appropriate receipts if the cost of the shuttle is less than reimbursement for approved mileage and parking. Transportation to and from meals and other social activities will not be provided unless these activities are required parts of the approved Academy meeting agenda. If traveling by private vehicle, reimbursement is based on the actual miles or standard highway mileage guides for automobiles. Tolls and reasonable parking charges, including airport parking if necessary, are allowed in addition to the mileage allowance with appropriate receipts.
Faculty Members will have the option to stay in single or a shared hotel room. Faculty can also choose to make and pay for their own hotel arrangements to be reimbursed at the nightly rate of $191.00 based on ASCA costs.
Food costs while traveling to/from and at the Academy, not including alcohol, will be paid by the Academy. Unless specifically noted in the Academy schedule, meals will be provided by the Academy during your stay. Meals purchased during a meal that is provided by the Academy will not be reimbursed by the Academy Budget. Please note that meal costs will only be reimbursed for actual costs up to the amount of the travel per diem.
For consideration, all 2020 Gehring Faculty and Faculty Fellow applications must be received by
Monday, December 9, 2019, 11:59 p.m. PT.