Gehring Academy Faculty
Faculty Position Description and Expectations
The Gehring Academy Faculty Members are the valued and respected core of the Donald D. Gehring Academy. Academy participants consistently cite the quality and approachability of our Faculty Members as a primary reason they attend the Academy and are satisfied with their experience. Each year, the Academy planning team hosts an open application process inviting our members to serve in this elite role and selects respected student conduct and legal professionals to represent the best of our field and Association. The work we do at the Academy shapes the future skill-base, quality, and direction of student conduct. We appreciate their contributions made on behalf of the Association, the students, and campus communities impacted by our work.
Expectations of persons in the Faculty role are outlined below, followed by application information and timeline.
Track Planning: Gehring Academy Faculty agree to:
- participate in all Faculty conference calls, meetings, and training and/or follow-up with Gehring Chair if circumstances prohibit attendance.
- adhere to budgeted track allocations and request approval from the Gehring Chair if proposing any changes to track, faculty, format, and resources. Only budget requests approved by the ASCA Executive Director and Gehring Academy Chair will be funded.
- adhere to all required timelines for providing information, materials, and content.
- work with the Track Coordinator to ensure sessions are appropriate for the intended track topic and work to create content that is suited for adult learners.
- keep the Gehring Academy Chair and ASCA staff updated on the status, content, and needs of the track.
Attendance: During the Gehring Academy, Faculty make the following commitments:
- Attend the all-faculty meeting on the week prior to the start of the event (date/time TBA)
- Fully participate in all classroom sessions for the track, including a minimum of three presentations, while minimizing time out of the room for other activities.
- Participate in panels and/or group activities as agreed upon in advance with other track coordinators.
- Mentor and engage participants through group and/or individual activities.
Copyright & Citations– All instructional materials created for the Academy must appropriately reflect attribution to sources of information. In addition, if chapters, articles, models, charts or other forms of training materials are incorporated from another source, copyright clearance must be obtained by Faculty Members from the author(s) of such information that provides permission to reprint as a part of the Academy materials. Each Faculty Member will be responsible for proper attribution and copyright permission for all materials provided and utilized in the track. The Academy assumes no responsibility for violations.
Material Ownership & Licensure– The authors retain copyright ownership of all original instructional materials provided for the Academy. This means the right to reproduce, distribute or create derivative works are retained by the author. The training materials created for the Academy, including PowerPoint presentations and handouts, should be appropriately labeled as the intellectual property of the author with a copyright notice (this is generally done by: ©2021, author name, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED) and should be reflected on the footer of all of Faculty Member materials. As a Gehring Academy instructor, each Faculty Member agrees to provide a limited license to the 2021 Gehring Academy to publish the instructional materials on the ASCA database for the exclusive use of 2021 Gehring Academy participants. All other uses of the instructional materials are protected by the copyright ownership of the author and require permission for further use.
Participant Materials– Participants have an expectation that the Academy will provide materials in a timely manner. Participant readings and other instructional materials must be provided to the ASCA Deputy Director for posting to participants no later than June 30, 2021.
ASCA is committed to making all programs accessible to all participants. Please be sure that consideration is given to those with disabilities. All materials must be accessible. As part of the track development process, the Academy leadership will provide information and resources to aid the inclusive development of all lessons. Non-accessible materials will not be approved by the Academy Chair for use by Track Coordinators and Faculty. Please inform the ASCA Executive Director should you need any of your own accommodations.
For consideration, all 2021 Gehring Faculty applications must be received by
February 26, 2021, 11:59 p.m. PT.